Xylan® is a brand-name fluoropolymer coating line. Xylan coatings were created by the Whitford Worldwide Company, which specialized in the manufacture of low-friction, wear-resistance coatings for industrial applications and non-stick coatings for consumer products. The company was acquired by PPG Industries, Inc. in 2019.
Looking to coat your products with Xylan? The experts at Matrix Coatings have got you covered! Our vast experience providing industrial coating services has allowed us to become a member of the distinguished Whitford Recommended Coater program. In the following blog post, we provide an overview of Xylan coatings to serve as a helpful guide for potential and existing customers. It highlights the product line’s key properties, typical applications, and coating process steps.
The Basics of Xylan® Anti-Corrosion Coatings
The Xylan coating line is the Whitford Worldwide Company’s industrial coating flagship. It encompasses a range of fluoropolymer coating materials, all of which are designed to enhance the performance and/or extend the service life of a variety of industrial and consumer products. They can be made from various wear-resistant fluoropolymer composites, including polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), perfluoroalkoxy alkane (PFA), and fluorinated ethylene propylene (FEP) reinforced with binder resins and other agents. The result is high-performance coatings that can significantly improve the surface quality of components to boost functionality and/or longevity in demanding operational and environmental conditions.
Some of the key properties Xylan coatings provide to coated components include:
- Non-stick, low-friction surface
- Chemical and corrosion resistance
- Extreme weather resistance
- High heat resistance
- UV resistance
- Wear resistance
How Does Xylan® Differ From Teflon™?
Xylan coatings are highly similar to other fluoropolymer coatings (e.g., Teflon™). The main difference between them is who makes them and how. Both are formulated with fluoropolymers, but Xylan was originally manufactured by Whitford Worldwide Company, and Teflon is manufactured by Chemours.
Applications of Xylan® Coatings
Due to their many benefits, Xylan coatings are used for a variety of industrial and commercial parts and products. Typical applications include:
- Bakeware/cookware. Since Xylan coatings create a non-stick surface and resist damage from high temperatures, they are ideal for coating pots, pans, and other cooking and baking instruments.
- Food processing equipment. Food-grade Xylan coatings are applied to the surfaces of food processing equipment (e.g., chutes and tubes) to decrease friction, which stops food materials from collecting on the surfaces.
- Machined components. Xylan is commonly used to coat machined components for applications requiring dry lubrication and non-stick; it is often utilized on applications with tight tolerances (e.g., aircraft and automobile)
- Medical instruments. Xylan can be used on medical instruments utilized for diagnostic and exploratory testing operations.
- Tooling. Xylan coated tooling is perfect for use in extreme environments (e.g., involving high temperatures or strong chemicals).
The Xylan® Coating Process
Xylan coatings can be applied to all types of metal substrates. Regardless of material, the application process typically proceeds as follows:
- Removing any contaminants on the surface that can interfere with the formation of a quality coating layer
- Abrading the surface using grit blasting or sanding methods to prepare it for the coating application stage
- Masking any areas of the surface where coating material should not be applied
- Applying the coating to the surface via a conventional spray, electrostatic powder, or dip-spin method
- Thermally curing the applied coating to form a smooth and strong layer
Quality Xylan® Coating Solutions From Matrix Coatings
Xylan can greatly enhance the functionality and longevity of industrial or consumer products used in demanding applications. If you’re ready to invest in Xylan coatings for your products, Matrix Coatings is the ideal partner. As a Whitford Recommended Coater program member, we have excellent industrial coating capabilities and extensive knowledge of Whitford coatings, which enable us to meet stringent coating quality standards. To learn more about our Xylan coating capabilities or discuss your coating needs with one of our representatives, contact us today.